Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
John Connon is a partner and co-heads a business law group and the Private Equity Group at Goodmans. He has a broad transactional practice involving all aspects of corporate and securities law, with particular emphasis on private equity, public and private mergers and acquisitions and corporate finance transactions.
John advises public companies, closely-held companies, private equity funds and their portfolio companies on a wide range of corporate transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, capital raises and governance matters.
From 1998 to 2004, John was an associate in the New York, Hong Kong and London offices of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP.
John has recently played a leading role in representing:
- Tricon Capital Group in its US$1.4 billion acqusition of Starlight U.S. Multi-Family (No. 5) Core Fund
- The Miller McAsphalt Corporation in connection with its sale of Miller Paving Limited and McAsphalt Industries Limited to Colas Canada Inc.
- The Second Cup Ltd. in connection with its strategic relationship with National Access Cannabis Corp.
- General Atlantic Partners in connection with its strategic investment in Benevity, Inc., a global provider of corporate social responsibility and employee engagement software
- The Kilmer Group in connection with the sale of the Toronto Argonauts Football Club, North America’s oldest continuously operated professional football club, to MLSE
- a syndicate of underwriters led by TD Securities in connection with multiple bought deal common share offerings by K Bro Linen Inc.
- Clairvest Group Inc. in connection with the sale of CRS Contractors Rental Supply Limited Partnership to Sunbelt Rentals, the North American business of Ashtead Group plc, for $275 million plus a potential earn-out
- Apax Partners in its sale of Trader Corporation, Canada’s lending digital automotive marketplace and software solutions provider, for approximately $1.575 billion
- Birch Hill Equity Partners in the sale of Bluewave Energy to Parkland Income Fund for $214 million
- Tricon Capital Group Inc., Northstar Healthcare Inc., Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc., K-Bro Linen Income Fund and VOXCOM Income Fund in connection with their initial public offerings
John was recognized in 2008 as one of Canada’s Leading Lawyers Under 40 by Lexpert Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40, ranked in the 2021 Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A leading lawyers and in 2019, was recognized as repeatedly recommended in corporate finance and securities, private equity, and mergers and acquisitions by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
|Education|| University of Toronto (LL.B., 1998)
McGill University (B.A., 1994)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||
1999 New York