Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Mitchell Sherman is a partner in the Tax Group at Goodmans. His taxation practice encompasses all aspects of income taxation that arise in corporate and commercial transactions, with an emphasis on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, corporate reorganizations, real estate, domestic and international debt financings and debt restructurings.
Mitch’s representative work includes acting for:
- Onex Corporation in its agreement to acquire all outstanding shares of WestJet Airlines Ltd.
- Searchlight Capital Partners, L.P. in its acquisition of Mitel Networks Corporation
- Insight Productions, a leading television production company, in the sale of a majority stake to Boat Rocker Media
- 9 Story Media Group’s acquisition of Breakthrough Entertainment’s kids and family library and development slate, and 9 Story Media Group’s acquisition of Out of the Blue Enterprises, a leader in children’s media across content creation, TV production, digital applications and consumer products
- Spectra Energy Corp’s merger with Enbridge Inc. (enterprise value of $165 billion)
- InterOil Inc.’s $2.5 billion acquisition by Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Leadon Investment Inc. in its acquisition of a Canadian hotel portfolio, SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, for $1.1 billion
- Mood Media Corporation’s going private transaction involving Apollo Global Management LLC and GSO Capital Partners as sponsors
Mitch is recognized as a leading practitioner of tax law by Chambers Canada, Chambers Global, Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, The Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Tax Advisors, Best Lawyers in Canada, The Legal 500 Canada, The Legal 500’s 2018 Tax Directors Handbook 250 (TDH250), and Law Business Research’s Who’s Who Legal Canada.
Mitch has authored numerous papers and has spoken extensively on income tax matters. He is a past-Chair and member of the Executive of the Canadian Bar Association/Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada Joint Committee on Taxation. He is a contributor to the Corporate Finance and International Tax publications.
|Education|| University of Toronto (J.D., 1987)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||