Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Tamryn Jacobson is a partner in the Litigation Group at Goodmans. Her practice focuses on complex commercial arbitration and litigation. In addition to representing clients in active disputes, Tamryn provides advice to clients in assessing litigation risk with a view to avoiding litigation, and works to find business solutions to complicated legal issues.
She has significant experience with both international (ad hoc, ICC, LCIA, ICDR, VanIAC, UNCITRAL) and domestic arbitration, dealing with commercial disputes covering a broad range of industries, including construction, mining, banking/finance, technology, retail, hospitality and clean technology.
Tamryn has also appeared before all levels of court in Ontario.
Tamryn’s representative work includes acting for:
- A mutual fund company in defending a class action related to mutual fund market timing
- A specialty contractor in disputes against provincial and federal governments relating to bridge and highway projects
- A Korean construction company in an international arbitration related to a mining project in Africa
- A public Canadian mining company in an international arbitration relating to alleged breaches of a private placement agreement
- A French bank in an international arbitration relating to breach of a guarantor agreement
- A multi-national software vendor in a software licence and copyright arbitration
- A large general contractor in a multi-party dispute related to the construction of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension
- A wealth management company in an arbitration against two senior departing employees
- The Province of Ontario in connection with CCAA proceedings regarding Stelco/US Steel
- Nortel Canada and its court-appointed Monitor in its global insolvency proceeding. This included apprearing in the first ever joint US-Canada cross-border trial regarding entitlements to over $9 billion of sale proceeds
PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT AND PRO BONO
Tamryn currently serves as a board member of the Toronto Lawyers Association, the Vice-Chair of The Advocates’ Society Arbitration and Mediation Practice Group, and CPD Liaison of the Ontario Bar Association’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Executive Board. She also sits on Practical Law Canada’s Corporate & Commercial Litigation Advisory Board.
Tamryn has an active pro bono practice. She has been involved with Pro Bono Ontario (PBO) for over a decade, acting as duty counsel for low-income litigants at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, as well as providing summary legal advice to low-income Ontarians through PBO’s Free Legal Advice Hotline. She also served as a director of the AIDS Committee of Toronto (ACT) for 7 years, including as the Chair of ACT’s Leadership and Governance Committee.
She co-authored the Canadian chapter of Global Legal Insights’ International Arbitration, 2nd to 7th editions, and writes and speaks frequently on arbitration and litigation topics.
Tamryn is recognized by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for commercial arbitration and by Best Lawyers in Canada for her corporate and commercial litigation practice.
|Education|| University of Toronto (J.D., with honours, 2008)
McMaster University (B.A., Psychology, summa cum laude, 2005)
Law Society of Ontario
Canadian Bar Association
|Year of Call||