Daniel Cohen is a partner in the Dispute Resolution Group at Goodmans.
Daniel has extensive experience in class actions, complex commercial disputes (including administrative/regulatory disputes), construction law and trademark law. Daniel routinely acts for large and mid-size corporations in all manner of disputes. He has acted both for and against the Ontario government and governmental regulatory bodies. He has also acted on numerous occasions against the federal government in both negligence and judicial review proceedings. Daniel has successfully obtained injunctive relief for clients, including in fraud cases.
Daniel has appeared in arbitrations and mediations on behalf of his clients and has appeared before all levels of court, including the Ontario and Federal Courts of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Daniel’s representative work includes acting for:
- MUFG Bank (formerly The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ) in a class action regarding the Foreign Exchange market
- Capital One Financial Corporation and Capital One Bank (Canada Branch) in a class action regarding credit card interchange fees
- BASF Canada, BASF Corporation and BASF A.G. in a class action regarding the polyether polyol market
- Cineplex Inc. in a claim for the breach of a multi-billion dollar arrangement agreement
- The Province of Ontario in respect of a dispute with the ownership group of Highway 407-ETR
- Apotex Inc. in numerous separate judicial review proceedings against the federal and provincial governments in respect of a range of matters, including product approvals pursuant to the Food and Drugs Act and its Regulations, listings on the Ontario Drug Benefit Formulary, and two successful challenges of iterations of an “Import Ban” imposed by the federal government regarding certain foreign drug products
- Apotex Inc. in respect of several separate negligence proceedings against the federal government, including successfully obtaining, at trial, a finding of “bad faith” against the federal government in respect of its handling of the approval process of a particular drug product
- Leisureworld, Inc. in successfully obtaining a mareva injunction and the civil enforcement of a criminal restitution order
- Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. in a commercial matter
- Walsh Construction Company Canada Inc. in a $200M claim against the Toronto Transit Commission
- Bondfield Construction Company Limited In a $100M claim against the Toronto Transit Commission
- Minto Midtown Inc. in a dispute with several subtrades in respect of a major condominium development in midtown Toronto
- Vincor/Constellation Brands/Arterra in a multitude of successful trademark opposition proceedings, infringement matters and an appeal before the Federal Court of Canada
- RioCan in successfully resolving several trademark infringement matters
- Clover Leaf in a trademark opposition proceeding
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate and Commercial Litigation 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate and Commercial Litigation 2023
Daniel acted as Pro Bono counsel to various intervenors in an appeal before the Supreme Court of Canada in respect of the judicial review of a high profile deportation matter.
Daniel has authored client updates in the areas of class actions and trademark law. He is the former Chair of the firm’s Associates Committee and has been extensively involved in mentoring and student recruitment.
- Western University, LL.B., 2001, with distinction
- Western University, B.A., 1998, Political Science, with distinction
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
Call to Bar
- 2002 Ontario
Dispute ResolutionThe Ontario government this week introduced the Smarter and Stronger Justice Act, 2019 (“Act”). In addition to other broad changes, the Act, which has not yet become law, contains significant…
Class ActionsLast week, the Federal Court of Canada dismissed an unusual “reverse class action” brought by a group of film production companies (collectively referred to as “Voltage”) against a potentially…
Dispute ResolutionLast week, the Privacy Commissioner of Canada determined that Loblaw Companies Ltd. initially collected more personal information than it needed with respect to the $25 Loblaw gift cards it made…
Class ActionsIn an expansion of section 36 of the Competition Act, an eight member majority of the Supreme Court has ruled that “umbrella purchasers” can be class members in price-fixing class actions. Umbrella…
Class ActionsOn July 17, 2019, the Law Commission of Ontario (LCO) released its much anticipated report on the Ontario Class Action regime. The report is the product of a 24 month process undertaken by the…
Dispute ResolutionThe Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK’s independent authority on data privacy, issued notices of its intention to fine British Airways and Marriott International £183,390,000 and…
News & Events
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Harry Radomski…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…