Ira Barkin is a partner and co-heads the Real Estate Group at Goodmans.
Ira plays a leading role in large acquisition, financing, development, restructuring and securitization transactions. His real estate background includes extensive experience in seniors housing, commercial leasing, clean energy land development and telecommunications financing.
Major public and private companies, pension funds and governmental entities rely upon Ira’s advice in connection with sophisticated real estate joint ventures, mixed-use land development and capital market transactions.
Ira is recognized as a leading lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada for real estate and commercial leasing law, The Legal 500 Canada for real estate and construction, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for property development and project finance, and featured in the Lexpert Special Edition: Energy and in the Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure.
Ira's representative work includes acting for:
- Welltower Inc. in its joint venture with Chartwell Senior Housing REIT
- Revera Inc. in its joint venture with Axium Infrastructure Inc.
- Brookfield in its acquisition and disposition of Enwave, Canada’s largest district heating and cooling enterprise
- Atlantic Power Corporation in its acquisition of Capital Power Income L.P.
- The Province of Ontario in connection with the restructuring of Stelco Inc. and Algoma Steel Inc.
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation in its financing of projects under its Rental Construction Financing Initiative
- Mettrum Health Corp. in its sale to Canopy Growth Corporation
- Cott Corporation in the sale of its soft drink business to Refresco
- Canadian Tire Corporation in its acquisition of the Forzani Group
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Commercial Leasing Law, Real Estate Law 2024
Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure Canada's Leading Infrastructure Lawyers 2023
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Recognized, Property Deveopment 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Real Estate 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized: Commercial Leasing Law, Real Estate Law 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Real Estate and Construction 2022
- Queen's University, LL.B., 1990
- University of Toronto, B.A., 1987
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Call to Bar
- 1992 Ontario
British Columbia Real Estate Law Guide April 2023: What You Need to Know Re: The New Prohibition on Foreign Purchases of Real EstateThe Government of Canada has enacted the Prohibition on the Purchase of Residential Property by Non-Canadians Act (the “Act”) which came into effect January 1, 2023. The Act prohibits the…
Real EstateThe Government of Canada has enacted the Prohibition on the Purchase of Residential Property by Non-Canadians Act (the “Act”) which came into effect January 1, 2023. The Act prohibits the “purchase…
Real EstateIn an effort to make it easier for the Province of Ontario to locate the assets of dissolved corporations, the Province has enacted the new Forfeited Corporate Property Act, which comes into effect on…
News & Events
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Harry Radomski…
Construction and InfrastructureWe are delighted to announce that the Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure 2023 has once again recognized Goodmans LLP lawyers among Canada's experts in the infrastructure…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce we have once again been recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2023.85 Goodmans lawyers have been recognized as top-tier in their fields and leaders across…