Ira Barkin is a partner and co-heads the Real Estate Group at Goodmans.
Ira plays a leading role in large acquisition, financing, development, restructuring and securitization transactions. His real estate background includes extensive experience in seniors housing, commercial leasing, clean energy land development and telecommunications financing.
Major public and private companies, pension funds and governmental entities rely upon Ira’s advice in connection with sophisticated real estate joint ventures, mixed-use land development and capital market transactions.
Ira is recognized as a leading lawyer by Best Lawyers in Canada for real estate and commercial leasing law, The Legal 500 Canada for real estate and construction, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for property development and project finance, and by the 2021 Lexpert Special Edition - Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers.
Ira's representative work includes acting for:
- Welltower Inc. in its joint venture with Chartwell Senior Housing REIT
- Revera Inc. in its joint venture with Axium Infrastructure Inc.
- Brookfield in its acquisition and disposition of Enwave, Canada’s largest district heating and cooling enterprise
- Atlantic Power Corporation in its acquisition of Capital Power Income L.P.
- The Province of Ontario in connection with the restructuring of Stelco Inc. and Algoma Steel Inc.
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation in its financing of projects under its Rental Construction Financing Initiative
- Mettrum Health Corp. in its sale to Canopy Growth Corporation
- Cott Corporation in the sale of its soft drink business to Refresco
- Canadian Tire Corporation in its acquisition of the Forzani Group
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Commercial Leasing Law 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Real Estate Law 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Real Estate and Construction 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Commercial Leasing Law 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Real Estate Law 2022
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Repeatedly Recommended, Project Finance 2022
- Queen's University, LL.B., 1990
- University of Toronto, B.A., 1987
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Call to Bar
- 1992 Ontario
Real EstateIn an effort to make it easier for the Province of Ontario to locate the assets of dissolved corporations, the Province has enacted the new Forfeited Corporate Property Act, which comes into effect on…
News & Events
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…
We are delighted to announce 100+ Goodmans lawyers have been ranked in the Best Lawyers Canada - 2022 Edition!Congratulations to our partners, Monique McAlister and Neil Sheehy who have both been…
Ira Barkin quoted in "New opportunities for real estate in Canada after pandemic disruption", Canadian LawyerIn a recent Canadian Lawyer article, Ira Barkin discusses new opportunities in the Canadian real estate sector:In October, the Hudson's Bay Company was accused by two landlords of not paying rent…