Jamie Firsten is a partner in a business law group at Goodmans. His practice focuses on advising emerging companies in connection with venture financings, M&A, and corporate and commercial law matters, with a main focus on technology companies. Within technology, Jamie is active in the enterprise software and e-sports space.
He acts for startups as well as established private and public companies in a wide range of industries, including information technology, media, hospitality, manufacturing and industrial, retail and natural resources.
He is part of the Goodmans team, acting as “legal counsel in residence” at the DMZ at Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly Ryerson University), one of Canada’s largest business incubators for emerging tech startups.
Jamie is recognized by numerous publications including: Chambers Canada, The Legal 500 Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, the Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences, and The Best Lawyers in Canada. In 2021, Jamie was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40.
Before joining Goodmans, Jamie was a partner at another large Canadian firm, practicing private equity and corporate law with a strong focus within the technology sector.
Some of Jamie’s representative work includes acting for:
- CampBrain, a best-in-class SaaS solution for camp management and registration, in connection with its sale to Clubessential subsidiary Vermont Systems
- That Clean Life, a nutrition-planning software provider, in connection with its sale to Practice Better
- Carbon Upcycling Technologies, a cleantech startup with carbon capture and utilization technology, in connection with its US$26M Series A round
- Maple Corporation, the leading telemedicine provider in Canada, in connection with Shoppers Drug Mart Inc.’s $75 million investment in the company
- The Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative in connection with all transactional and commercial matters
- the management of Firmex in connection with its recent sale
- OverActive Media in connection with its acquisition of the Toronto Slot of the Overwatch League from Activision Blizzard, and a slot in the European League of Legends Championship Series from Riot Games
- e-learning software company Docebo in connection with a Series B financing round
- Panasonic Canada in connection with various acquisitions
- The Harlo Group in connection with real estate transactions and various venture financings
- Whitecap Ventures in connection with various portfolio investments
- Ripple Ventures in connection with the formation of its fund and portfolio investments
- Resolver, a governance, risk management and compliance software company, in connection with a Series A financing round and ongoing tuck in acquisitions
- several search funds in connection with their respective qualifying transactions
- PerfectMind, a leading health and fitness software company, in connection with its sale transaction to Advent Group
- Vetster Inc., a leading veterinary telemedicine platform with its Series Seed, Series A and Series B venture financings
- VendorPM Inc., a leading property technology company with its Series Seed and Series A venture financings.
- Purefacts Financial Solutions, a leading provider of wealth management software, in connection with its $37 million strategic financing from Canadian Business Growth Fund
- Ten Thousand Coffees (10KC), the leading talent experience platform, in connection with its $56 million investment from Five Elms Capital
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law 2024
Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences Recognized, Canada's Leading Technology and Health Sciences Lawyers 2023
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Recognized, Corporate Mid-Market, Mergers & Acquisitions, Technology Transactions 2023
Chambers Canada Band 3, Startups and Emerging Companies 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Technology 2022
Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences Recognized, Canada's Leading Technology and Health Sciences Lawyers 2022
- University of Windsor, LL.B., 2006
- Western University, B.A., 2003, Psych
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
Call to Bar
- 2007 Ontario
Banking and Financial Services
Virtual Currency Dealers Must Register as MSBs by June 1, 2020: Important Changes to Canada's Anti-Money Laundering RegimeThe new requirements flow from several important changes to the federal Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act (the “Act”), which will come into force on June 1, 2020 and…
TechnologyThe Goodmans Technology Startup Guide provides an overview of the following primary legal issues that founders of technology startups should consider:Choosing the right business structureProtecting…
News & Events
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Harry Radomski…
TechnologyWe are delighted to announce that the Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences has once again recognized Goodmans LLP, with 15 Goodmans lawyers recognized named among Canada's…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce we have once again been recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2023.85 Goodmans lawyers have been recognized as top-tier in their fields and leaders across…