Jarrett Freeman is a partner in the Tax Group at Goodmans.
His practice encompasses all aspects of income taxation that arise in corporate and commercial transactions, with an emphasis on merger and acquisition, corporate finance and real estate transactions both domestically and internationally. He also has extensive experience advising real estate investment trusts (REITs), private equity funds and other yield-oriented issuers on tax matters.
Jarrett is recognized a leading tax practitioner by numerous publications including Chambers Canada, Best Lawyers in Canada and The Legal 500 Canada. In 2017 Jarrett was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40.
Jarrett’s representative work includes acting for:
- Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc. in connection with its C$445 million share sale to Onex Corporation
- NorthWest Healthcare Properties REIT on various matters, including its joint venture with a large sovereign wealth fund, its acquisition of Generation Healthcare REIT, and its acquisition of the Healthscope portfolio
- Minto Apartment REIT in its $230 million initial public offering
- Pure Industrial REIT in its $3.8 billion acquisition by Blackstone Property Partners and Ivanhoe Cambridge
- Numerex Corp., a leading provider of enterprise solutions, in connection with its US$107 million merger with Sierra Wireless, Inc.
- Mood Media Corporation in its going private transaction involving Apollo Global Management LLC and GSO Capital Partners as sponsors
- Iovate Health Sciences International Inc. in its sale to Xiwang Foodstuffs Company Ltd.
- Roots Canada Ltd. in its majority stake sale in Roots to Searchlight Capital Partners, L.P.
- Apax Partners and Hub International Limited in Hub International’s US$4.4 billion acquisition by Hellman & Friedman LLC.
- Slate Retail REIT in its combination transaction and listing on the TSX
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Canada Recognized, Tax 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Tax Law 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Next Generation Partner, Tax 2022
Chambers Canada Ranked, Tier 5, Tax: Nationwide - Canada 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Tax Law 2022
Chambers Global Band 5, Tax 2022
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 2004
- Western University / Ivey Business School, H.B.A., 2001, with distinction
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Canadian Bar Association
Call to Bar
- 2005 Ontario
TechnologyIn 2017, the Government of Canada launched a multi-year Innovation and Skills Plan aimed at substantially redesigning the innovation policy landscape in Canada. The Plan features an updated…
Real EstateYesterday, the Ontario Government enacted amendments to the “de minimis” exemption contained in the regulations to the Ontario Land Transfer Tax Act…
News & Events
Mergers and AcquisitionsWe are delighted to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Canada 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from Chambers…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…
We are proud to announce that we have once again been recognized as a top Canadian firm in the Chambers Global 2022 Guide.Chambers Global ranks the top lawyers and law firms in over…