Jon Northup is a partner in the Tax Group and a member of the Executive Committee at Goodmans. Jon’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and investment funds, with a particular expertise in structuring cross-border transactions. He provides clients with dynamic, strategic and practical tax advice, frequently developing innovative structures and planning to address complex transactions and structuring challenges.
Jon is Vice-Chair of the firm’s Aging/Healthcare (including Seniors Housing) practice group and Chair of SenbridGe, a division of Goodmans that provides specialized advisory, education and networking programs to the healthcare and ageing sector.
Jon is recognized as a leading practitioner of tax law by Chambers Global who describe him as “indispensable” and comment that he is lauded by clients as an “exceptional deal and tax structuring attorney”. He attracts strong reviews from commentators, who say: “He is wonderful - very thoughtful, thorough, responsive, and he really understands our business.” Jon is also recognized as a leading corporate tax lawyer by Chambers Canada, The Legal 500 Canada, Best Lawyers in Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and by World Tax. Lexpert named Jon one of Canada’s “Top 40 Under 40 Lawyers” in 2006 and one of the “20 Corporate Lawyers to Watch” in 2007.
Jon’s representative work includes acting for:
- Tricon Capital Group Inc. in its acquisition of Starlight U.S. Multi-Family No. 5 Core Fund in an all share transaction valued at $1.4 billion
- Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc. in its acquisition by Onex Corporation
- Invesque Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Commonwealth Senior Living and 20 of its Communities for US$340.4 Million
- Pure Industrial REIT in its $3.8 billion acquisition by Blackstone Property Partners and Ivanhoé Cambridge
- Student Transportation Inc., one of North America’s largest school bus transportation services, in its $1.1 billion acquisition by the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Ullico Inc.
- Minto Apartment REIT in its $230 million initial public offering
- Revera Inc. in its joint venture with Axium Infrastructure with respect to the acquisition and shared ownership of 32 long-term care homes across Canada
- Invesque Inc. in its US$425 million acquisition of Care Investment Trust’s 42 US seniors housing and care property portfolio owned by Tiptree Inc.
- Milestone Apartment REIT in its US$2.9 billion acquisition by Starwood Capital Group
- InterOil Inc. in its $2.5 billion acquisition by Exxon Mobil Corporation
Jon has extensive experience advising issuers and investment dealers on the structuring and taxation of public offerings, including offerings by REITs, investment trusts and similar yield-oriented issuers. He advised RioCan REIT on the first offering of preferred units by a Canadian trust and advised BSR REIT, NexPoint Hospitality Trust, Invesque Inc., WPT Industrial REIT, Milestone Apartments REIT, Agellan Commercial REIT and HealthLease Properties REIT on their cross-border IPOs.
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Canada Band 3, Tax 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Leading Individual, Tax 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Tax Law 2023
World Tax Recognized, Transactional Tax 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Leading Individual, Tax 2022
Chambers Canada Recognized, Tax: Nationwide - Canada 2022
- University of Toronto, LL.B., 1998
- University of Victoria, B.A., 1993
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
Call to Bar
- 2000 Ontario
Structured Finance and DerivativesFrancesca Guolo, Mark Surchin, Brian Empey and Jon Northup co-authored the Canada Chapter of The Law Reviews' Securitisation Review 3rd Edition. The Securitisation Law Review provides legal…
Banking and Financial ServicesFrancesca Guolo, Mark Surchin, Brian Empey and Jon Northup co-authored the Canada Chapter of The Law Reviews' Securitisation Review 2nd Edition. The publication provides securitisation…
TaxOn December 16, 2010, the Department of Finance announced proposed amendments to the rules in the Income Tax Act (Canada) applicable to real estate investment trusts. The amendments address…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
Mergers and AcquisitionsWe are delighted to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Canada 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from Chambers…
TaxGoodmans LLP Tax Group has been recognized in the 2023 edition of World Tax with multiple top-tier rankings:Tier 1: Transactional taxTier 2: TaxTier 3: Tax ControversyCongratulations to Jon Northup…