Karen is a partner in the business law group at Goodmans.
Her practice focuses on corporate law and banking and finance law, including a range of domestic and cross-border financing and corporate transactions, acting for both creditors and debtors. Karen has significant experience with corporate and financing transactions involving health care assets and is a member of the firm’s Aging & Healthcare practice.
Karen is recognized as a Next Generation Partner in the 2024 edition of The Legal 500 Canada and has been featured in the 2022 and 2023 editions of Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada, in the 2022 edition of Legal Media Group’s Expert Guides as a Rising Star, and in the 2022 and 2023 editions of IFLR1000 as a Rising Star Partner for her banking and finance practice. In 2021, Karen was honoured at the IFLR Rising Stars Awards Americas for her banking and finance practice as well as the jurisdiction award for Canada.
Karen’s representative work includes acting for:
- King Street Capital Management, as lead lender, in connection with the $US 750 million financings of Canopy Growth Corporation, one of Canada’s largest cannabis companies
- Ad hoc committee of lenders in connection with the financing of its acquisition of Cirque du Soleil pursuant to a credit bid under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act for $1.2 billion
- Berkshire Partners in connection with the financing of its investment in VetStrategy, Canada’s leading and largest operator of veterinary clinics
- The Plan Sponsors (private equity firms as mezzanine lenders) of Stoneway Capital Corporation’s $1 billion restructuring pursuant to the Canada Business Corporations Act
- Onex Corporation in connection with the financing of its acquisition of WestJet Airlines Ltd. for CDN $5 billion
- Revera Inc. in its joint venture partnership with Axium Infrastructure to share ownership of 32 of Revera’s long term care homes in Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and British Columbia
- Sienna Senior Living Inc. in its acquisition of retirement residences for $382 million
- Ad Hoc Committee of Noteholders of Pacific Exploration & Production Corporation in connection with the company’s restructuring under the CCAA and ancillary proceedings in Colombia and the United States
- Welltower Inc. and Revera Inc. in their $374.4 million joint venture acquisition of Regal Lifestyle Communities Inc. and in connection with their US$2 billion joint venture resulting in shared ownership of 70+ Canadian retirement residences previously owned by Revera Inc.
- Gramercy Funds Management LLC in connection with $90 million gold forward sale transactions and gold streaming transaction with Banro Corporation
- Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. in connection with its formation of a joint venture with Toronto-based real estate company, Dream Unlimited Corp. to develop its portfolio of surplus real estate valued at $1 billion
- Atlantic Power Corporation in connection with the financing of Atlantic Power’s $1.1 billion acquisition of Capital Power Income L.P.
Awards & Recognition
The Legal 500 Canada Next Generation Partner, Banking and Finance 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Ones to Watch, Banking and Finance Law 2024
IFLR1000 Canada Rising Star Partner, Banking 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Ones to Watch, Banking and Finance Law 2023
Legal Media Group's Expert Guides Recognized, Rising Star 2022
IFLR1000 Canada Rising Star Partner, Banking 2022
Karen is a Co-chair of SenbridGe NEXT by SenbridGe, Goodmans platform for educational, networking and publication offerings related to the seniors living and healthcare industries.
- Osgoode Hall Law School / Schulich School of Business, J.D./M.B.A., 2011
- McGill University, B.A., 2007
- Law Society of Ontario
- Ontario Bar Association
Call to Bar
- 2012 Ontario
Banking and Financial ServicesOn September 28, 2023, the securities regulatory authorities of each of the provinces and territories, other than British Columbia, published Multilateral Instrument 93-101 Derivatives: Business…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Harry Radomski…
RestructuringWe are proud to announce Goodmans continues to be recognized by IFLR1000 in its annual guide. Recognition in IFLR1000 is based on a combination of in-depth qualitative research and…