Mitchell Sherman serves as counsel in the Tax Group at Goodmans. His taxation practice encompasses all aspects of income taxation that arise in corporate and commercial transactions, with an emphasis on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, corporate reorganizations, real estate, domestic and international debt financings and debt restructurings.
Mitch is recognized as a leading practitioner of tax law by Chambers Canada, Chambers Global, Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Euromoney’s Guide to the World’s Leading Tax Advisors, Best Lawyers in Canada, The Legal 500 Canada, The Legal 500’s 2018 Tax Directors Handbook 250 (TDH250), Law Business Research’s Who’s Who Legal Canada, and featured in the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A.
Mitch’s representative work includes acting for:
- Onex Corporation in its agreement to acquire all outstanding shares of WestJet Airlines Ltd.
- Searchlight Capital Partners, L.P. in its acquisition of Mitel Networks Corporation
- Insight Productions, a leading television production company, in the sale of a majority stake to Boat Rocker Media
- 9 Story Media Group’s acquisition of Breakthrough Entertainment’s kids and family library and development slate, and 9 Story Media Group’s acquisition of Out of the Blue Enterprises, a leader in children’s media across content creation, TV production, digital applications and consumer products
- Spectra Energy Corp’s merger with Enbridge Inc. (enterprise value of $165 billion)
- InterOil Inc.’s $2.5 billion acquisition by Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Leadon Investment Inc. in its acquisition of a Canadian hotel portfolio, SilverBirch Hotels & Resorts, for $1.1 billion
- Mood Media Corporation’s going private transaction involving Apollo Global Management LLC and GSO Capital Partners as sponsors
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Global Band 1, Tax 2024
Chambers Canada Band 1, Tax 2024
The Legal 500 Canada Leading Individual, Tax 2024
World Tax Notable Practitioner, Tax 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Tax Law 2024
Chambers Global Band 1, Tax 2023
Mitch has authored numerous papers and has spoken extensively on income tax matters. He is a past-Chair and member of the Executive of the Canadian Bar Association/Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada Joint Committee on Taxation. He is a contributor to the Corporate Finance and International Tax publications.
- University of Toronto, J.D., 1987
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association, Past Chair of the National Taxation section
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- International Fiscal Association
Call to Bar
- 1989 Ontario
TaxPangaea, which derives from the Greek word meaning “all the earth”, is the name given to the super-continent that encompassed almost all of the earth’s land mass some 300 million years ago. Pangaea…
Capital MarketsIn its 2015 election platform, the Liberal Party announced its plan to change the taxation of stock options, by capping the amount that may be claimed under the 50% stock option deduction generally…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top-tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Global 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to share Goodmans lawyers have been recognized across Who's Who Legal's National Guide: Canada 2023. WWL National Guides identify national or regional leaders in a sector, industry…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…