Tamryn Jacobson is a partner in the Dispute Resolution Group at Goodmans. Her practice focuses on complex commercial arbitration and litigation. In addition to representing clients in active disputes, Tamryn provides advice to clients in assessing litigation risk with a view to avoiding litigation and works to find business solutions to complicated legal issues.
She has significant experience with both international (ad hoc, ICC, LCIA, ICDR, VanIAC, UNCITRAL) and domestic arbitration, dealing with commercial disputes covering a broad range of industries, including construction, mining, banking/finance, technology, retail, hospitality and clean technology. Tamryn has also appeared before all levels of court in Ontario.
Tamryn is recognized by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory for commercial arbitration and corporate commercial litigation, by Best Lawyers in Canada for corporate and commercial litigation and construction law, by Benchmark Litigation Canada and by The Legal 500 Canada. She is also featured in the 2023 Lexpert Special Edition: Litigation leading lawyers and the Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure. In 2023, Tamryn was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40, and included in Benchmark Litigation’s 40 & Under List – Canada.
Tamryn’s representative work includes acting for:
- a mutual fund company in defending a class action related to mutual fund market timing
- a specialty contractor in disputes against provincial and federal governments relating to bridge and highway projects
- a Korean construction company in an international arbitration related to a mining project in Africa
- a public Canadian mining company in an international arbitration relating to alleged breaches of a private placement agreement
- a French bank in an international arbitration relating to breach of a guarantor agreement
- a multi-national software vendor in a software licence and copyright arbitration
- a large general contractor in a multi-party dispute related to the construction of the Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension
- a wealth management company in an arbitration against two senior departing employees
- the Province of Ontario in connection with CCAA proceedings regarding Stelco/US Steel
- Nortel Canada and its court-appointed Monitor in its global insolvency proceeding. This included appearing in the first ever joint US-Canada cross-border trial regarding entitlements to over $9 billion of sale proceeds
Awards & Recognition
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Construction 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Construction Law, Corporate and Commercial Litigation 2024
Lexpert Special Edition: Litigation Recognized, Canada's Leading Litigation Lawyers 2023
Lexpert's Rising Stars - Leading Lawyers Under 40 One of Canada’s leading lawyers under 40 2023
Benchmark Litigation's 40 & Under List - Canada 40 & Under List - Canada 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure Canada's Leading Infrastructure Lawyers 2023
Tamryn currently serves as a board member of the Toronto Lawyers Association, the Chair of The Advocates’ Society Arbitration and Mediation Practice Group, and a member of the Ontario Bar Association’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Executive Board. She also sits on Practical Law Canada’s Corporate & Commercial Litigation Advisory Board.
Tamryn has an active pro bono practice. She has been involved with Pro Bono Ontario (PBO) for over a decade, acting as duty counsel for low-income litigants at the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, as well as providing summary legal advice to low-income Ontarians through PBO’s Free Legal Advice Hotline. She also served as a director of the AIDS Committee of Toronto (ACT) for 7 years, including as the Chair of ACT’s Leadership and Governance Committee.
She co-authored the Canadian chapter of Global Legal Insights’ International Arbitration, 2nd to 7th editions, and writes and speaks frequently on arbitration and litigation topics.
- University of Toronto, J.D., 2008, with honours
- McMaster University, B.A., 2005, Psychology, summa cum laude
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Toronto Lawyers Association
- ICC Canada – Arbitration Committee
- Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners
Call to Bar
- 2009 Ontario
Dispute ResolutionArbitrators and mediators (“Neutrals”) hired in Ontario do not generally reflect the gender or racial diversity of the demographics of the province or the legal profession. Through this report the…
Arbitration - Domestic and InternationalJulie Rosenthal, Brad Halfin and Tamryn Jacobson have co-authored the Canada chapter of Global Legal Insights’ International Arbitration 2021, 7th edition. The publication covers international…
Arbitration - Domestic and InternationalThe Supreme Court of Canada released its highly anticipated decision in Uber Technologies Inc. v Heller on June 26, 2020. The majority found that the arbitration agreement in Uber’s service…
Arbitration - Domestic and InternationalJulie Rosenthal, Brad Halfin and Tamryn Jacobson have co-authored the Canada chapter of Global Legal Insights’ International Arbitration 2020, 6th edition. The publication covers international…
Construction and InfrastructureAn overview of two significant developments regarding limitation periods and procedural time periods, and the expansion construction projects considered "essential…
Construction and InfrastructureThe COVID-19 pandemic has affected industries across the globe, and the construction industry is no exception. This update addresses recent events that have impacted the construction industry in…
News & Events
Dispute ResolutionWe are delighted to announce the Lexpert Special Edition: Litigation 2023 once again features Goodmans partners among Canada's experts in litigation.Congratulations to our 13 featured…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
Dispute ResolutionWhether you’re new to commercial arbitration or simply looking to brush up on your skills, this virtual session (part of the OBA Alternative Dispute Resolution program) will cover key insights and…