Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Michael Wilson is a partner in the Litigation Group at Goodmans. He acts for public and private companies, directors and officers, and government agencies in litigation and arbitration, focusing on corporate, commercial, administrative law and regulatory matters.
Michael has appeared before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Federal Court of Canada, and international and domestic arbitration panels.
Until recently, Michael served as the chief of staff to the Attorney General of Ontario. Providing strategic counsel to two successive Attorneys General, Michael led the development and implementation of substantial legislative reform, including the modernization of legislation related to Ontario’s crown liability, class actions, civil forfeiture, police oversight, construction and legal aid. He routinely advised on policy development related to regulated professions and industries, including those regulated by the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (alcohol, gaming, and cannabis). In particular, Michael was instrumental in the design of Ontario’s Cannabis Licence Act and Cannabis Control Act that provide the framework for Ontario’s open-market, privately-operated cannabis retail market.
In addition to his litigation practice, Michael continues to build on his experience advising decision-makers in the federal and provincial government by assisting clients with crisis mandates and strategic policy and regulatory advice. He advises corporate clients and industry associations in developing legislative and regulatory proposals that respond to complex and urgent policy challenges.
Michael’s representative work includes acting as counsel to:
- a publicly-traded company resisting the certification of a class action in relation to its securities disclosure
- senior officers of a publicly-traded company in a class proceeding relating to the company’s securities disclosure
- a corporate defendant in a consumer class action regarding price-fixing
Complex Fiduciary Duty, Contract and Tort Cases
- a co-founder/shareholder of a technology company in a dispute concerning the non-complete and non-solicitation provisions of a unanimous shareholders agreement
- a venture capitalist in defence of breach of contract and fiduciary duty claims made in connection with a share purchase transaction
- a Canadian wine-maker in defence of alleged breaches of a share purchase agreement and a shareholders agreement following the unwinding of a joint venture
- a professional services firm in asserting breach of contract, fiduciary duty and confidence claims against two departing senior employees
- a shareholder in a closely-held family business in a shareholder dispute
Regulatory Matters, Judicial Reviews and Claims Against the Government
- a cannabis retailer in response to regulatory inquiries from the AGCO
- a group of developers in a judicial review of a municipal council decision
- a Canadian pharmaceutical company in a claim against the federal government for breach of contract, negligence, and misfeasance in public office
- a Canadian pharmaceutical company in multiple judicial reviews against the federal government
- the Monitor in a CCAA proceeding defending defamation claims made by the former CEO of the CCAA debtor company
- the principal of a professional services firm in taking action against defamatory comments made by a competitor
|Education||University of Western Ontario Law School (J.D., 2012)
University of Western Ontario (B.A., 2007)
|Year of Call||