Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Suzy is a partner in the Litigation and Class Actions Groups and is a member of the Executive Committee at Goodmans. She is an experienced commercial litigator, with particular expertise in litigating disputes involving commercial contracts, class actions, employee and fiduciary obligations, contested estate matters, directors and officers liability claims, civil fraud, loss of corporate opportunity and entertainment matters. Suzy has acted as lead counsel on numerous high-stakes litigation matters. In her class actions practice, she frequently represents her clients’ interests in jurisdictions across Canada.
Suzy has appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada and before all levels of civil courts in Ontario, including the Court of Appeal for Ontario and the Commercial Court, which specializes in complex commercial cases, and has both trial and appellate experience. She has also been involved in proceedings before the Ontario Securities Commission and in judicial review applications of administration tribunals.
Suzy’s representative work includes acting for:
- Chevron Canada Limited, challenging the jurisdiction of the Ontario courts and ultimately the enforceability of a US$18.3 billion judgment (subsequently reduced to $9.51 billion), obtained in Ecuador against Chevron Corporation
- IPEX Inc. in product liability claims in Canada (co-ordinating the defence with parallel claims in the U.S.), successfully negotiating a cross-border settlement of class action claims in Canada and the U.S. and prosecuting several product suppliers in connection with the alleged liability
- A major tobacco manufacturer, defending against government initiated high stakes litigation seeking recovery for health care costs across Canada
- American and Japanese auto parts manufacturers in proposed class actions commenced in various jurisdictions alleging price fixing related to the manufacture and sale of various auto parts (coordinating Canadian counsel for the proposed class actions in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia and working with U.S. and Japanese counsel)
- Simon & Schuster Canada in the defence of a proposed class action lawsuit in Ontario in connection with e-books pricing in Canada
- a prominent Canadian company defending claims of loss of corporate opportunity and numerous injunctive proceedings
- high net worth individuals involving multi-million dollar estate and family high stakes litigation
- Estate Trustees (and beneficiaries) in contested passing of accounts and litigation arising from estate litigation
Suzy is ranked by Chambers Canada for Litigation: General Commercial (Ontario), Benchmark Canada as a “Litigation Star” nationally for class actions and in Ontario for class actions, commercial litigation, insolvency, labour and employment and professional liability. Suzy has also been recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in the area of Corporate Commercial Litigation.
Suzy is a regular instructor of litigation skills-based workshops at The Advocates’ Society and has run the continuing legal education program for the associates in the litigation department at Goodmans. She is involved in the student program at the firm, acting as a mentor to summer and articling students.
Suzy has completed the Board Governance Course run by the Canadian Board Diversity Counsel, and currently serves on the Board of Directors of TanenbaumCHAT. She is a past board member of several other not-for-profit boards. Suzy is also an active community volunteer and supporter of numerous charitable organizations.
Before joining Goodmans, Suzy was a figure skater and competed nationally and internationally for Canada.
|Education|| University of Toronto (LL.B., Dean's Honour List, Carey S. Stern Prize in Civil Procedure, 1997)
McGill University (B.A., Political Science, Great Distinction, 1994)
Law Society of Ontario
|Year of Call||