Financial Services Regulatory
Goodmans Financial Services Regulatory Group guides and advises financial services market participants in navigating Canada’s complex and evolving regulatory ecosystem. The Group is also frequently on the ground floor of policy and regulatory changes, working collaboratively with regulatory and governmental bodies in the development and implementation of financial services policy, legislation, regulation and guidance. The Group draws from the experience and expertise of Goodmans lawyers practising across a broad range of disciplines, including banking, mortgage lending and intermediation, insurance, pensions, securities, derivatives, payment processing, employment, fintech, consumer protection, data protection & privacy, anti-money laundering and litigation.
Our clients include regulators, foreign and domestic banks, loan and trust companies, mortgage lenders, credit unions, insurance companies, broker dealers, investment advisors, public pension plans, pension plan sponsors, employers, payment processors, technology providers, blockchain participants and crypto-currency dealers, exchanges and platforms. We have strong, trusted relationships with many Canadian regulators, some of whom are also our clients, including the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI), the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation (CDIC), the Departments of Finance (federal and provincial), Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC), the Canadian Investor Protection Fund (CIPF), the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA) and the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC).
We offer services to help our clients work seamlessly across borders—regularly guiding and assisting both Canadian and non-Canadian clients in:
- divesting or acquiring financial services businesses,
- establishing their regulated businesses or operations in Canada,
- obtaining the regulatory licenses and registrations they require to operate in Canada or seeking appropriate exemptions,
- developing regulatory compliance policies and procedures for their business and modifying those as necessary to accommodate regulatory changes,
- providing ongoing advice in the navigation of day-to-day regulatory issues,
- advising in relation to regulatory compliance issues and related disputes, investigations and enquiries as they arise,
- advocating on their behalf before regulators and in the courts, and
- working with regulators to develop new and modified legislation, regulations, policies and guidelines.
Members of Goodmans Financial Services Regulatory Group are consistently recognized as leading lawyers within their fields of expertise.