Allan Goodman is a partner in a business law group, and co-heads the Technology Group at Goodmans. His practice focuses on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and regulatory compliance matters.
Allan acts for a broad range of issuers and underwriters on corporate finance transactions, including public offerings and private placements. Allan also provides advice to boards of directors and special committees with respect to governance and compliance matters.
Allan leads the firm’s emerging business initiative, in its role as “legal counsel in residence” at the DMZ at Toronto Metropolitan University (formally Ryerson University), one of Canada’s largest business incubators for emerging tech startups. Through this initiative, Allan provides legal advice and mentorship to some of Canada’s most promising startups.
Allan is recognized as a leading lawyer by numerous publications including: Best Lawyers in Canada, The Legal 500 Canada, IFLR 1000, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (corporate finance and securities, M&A), the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A and the Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences.
Allan’s representative work includes acting for:
- Match Group with respect to its acquisition of PlentyOfFish Media Inc., a Canadian internet dating service
- Ceridian HCM Holding Inc., a global human capital management software company, in its initial public offering of common shares
- Eventbrite in connection with its acquisition of Picatic, a Canadian online ticketing company
- HomeAdvisor.com, a subsidiary of IAC/InterActiveCorp, with respect to its acquisition of HomeStars, the leading Canadian home services platform connecting homeowners with service providers
- Cura Partners in connection with its convertible debenture financing
- underwriters in connection with various H&R REIT equity and debenture offerings
- National Bank, as lead underwriter for a bought deal for Solium Capital Inc.
- the syndicate of agents in OMERS Realty Corporation's private placement of debentures
- underwriters in connection with a bought deal offering of common shares by Mogo Finance Technology Inc.
- ArcTern Ventures in connection with its interest in GreenMantra Technologies
- Cura Partners in connection with its $1 billion sale to Curaleaf and the sale of its CBD business to Sentia Wellness
- Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc. in connection with its $450 million sale to Onex Corporation
- Brookfield Residential Properties Inc. in its going private transaction with Brookfield Asset Management Inc.
Awards & Recognition
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Technology 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized: Corporate Law, Corporate Governance Practice, FinTech Practice, Mining Law, Securities Law 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Technology 2022
IFLR1000 Canada Notable Practitioner, Financial and Corporate 2022
Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences Recognized, Canada's Leading Technology and Health Sciences Lawyers 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate Law 2022
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 1991
- York University, M.B.A, 1988
- York University, B.B.A, 1987
- Osgoode Professional Development, Certificate in Mining Law
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
Call to Bar
Class Action Lawsuit Highlights Importance of Legal Wrappers for Decentralized Autonomous OrganizationsIn a first-of-its kind lawsuit filed in the Southern District of California last month, a handful of members of a decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) called bZx DAO (bZx), commenced a class…
TechnologyOn April 7, 2022, the Government of Canada released its budget for the upcoming 2022 fiscal year (the “Budget”). Formally titled Budget 2022: A Plan to Grow our Economy and Make Life Affordable…
Mergers and AcquisitionsRichard Corley, Allan Goodman, Michelle Vigod and Jessica Bishop authored the Canada Chapter of The Technology Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2nd Edition.Overview from the Canada Chapter:Deals in…
TechnologyOn September 23, 2021, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) and the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) provided detailed guidance directed at the marketing practices…
TechnologyOn March 29, 2021, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) and the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) released much anticipated comprehensive guidance for crypto-asset…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalAllan Goodman, Co-Chair of World Law Group's Venture Capital Group, and Daniel Seidman co-authored the Canada section of the World Law Group 2021 Venture Capital Guide. The guide intends to provide a…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
- 07:30 PM Capital MarketsOngoing economic and political uncertainty has impacted global markets in 2022, and the venture capital market is no exception-- while the pace of deals may have slowed, total capital being invested…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce Goodmans continues to be recognized by IFLR1000 in its annual guide. Recognition in IFLR1000 is based on a combination of in-depth qualitative research and…