Allan Goodman is a partner in a business law group, and co-heads the Technology Group at Goodmans. His practice focuses on corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and regulatory compliance matters.
Allan acts for a broad range of issuers and underwriters on corporate finance transactions, including public offerings and private placements. Allan also provides advice to boards of directors and special committees with respect to governance and compliance matters.
Allan leads the firm’s emerging business initiative, in its role as “legal counsel in residence” at the DMZ at Toronto Metropolitan University (formerly Ryerson University), one of Canada’s largest business incubators for emerging tech startups. Through this initiative, Allan provides legal advice and mentorship to some of Canada’s most promising startups.
Allan is recognized as a leading lawyer by numerous publications including: Best Lawyers in Canada, The Legal 500 Canada, IFLR1000, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (corporate finance and securities), the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A and the Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences.
Allan’s representative work includes acting for:
- Practice Better, a nutritionist practice management platform, in connection with its sale to Five Elms Capital Partners
- Ratio.city, an urban planning software system, in connection with its sale to Esri Canada
- Match Group with respect to its acquisition of PlentyOfFish Media Inc., a Canadian internet dating service
- Ceridian HCM Holding Inc., a global human capital management software company, in its initial public offering of common shares
- Eventbrite in connection with its acquisition of Picatic, a Canadian online ticketing company
- HomeAdvisor.com, a subsidiary of IAC/InterActiveCorp, with respect to its acquisition of HomeStars, the leading Canadian home services platform connecting homeowners with service providers
- Cura Partners in connection with its convertible debenture financing
- underwriters in connection with various H&R REIT equity and debenture offerings
- National Bank, as lead underwriter for a bought deal for Solium Capital Inc.
- the syndicate of agents in OMERS Realty Corporation's private placement of debentures
- underwriters in connection with a bought deal offering of common shares by Mogo Finance Technology Inc.
- ArcTern Ventures in connection with its interest in GreenMantra Technologies
- Cura Partners in connection with its $1 billion sale to Curaleaf and the sale of its CBD business to Sentia Wellness
- Gluskin Sheff + Associates Inc. in connection with its $450 million sale to Onex Corporation
- Brookfield Residential Properties Inc. in its going private transaction with Brookfield Asset Management Inc.
Awards & Recognition
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Technology 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate Governance Practice, Corporate Law, FinTech Practice, Mining Law, Securities Law 2024
IFLR1000 Canada Notable Practitioner, Financial and Corporate 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Technology and Health Sciences Recognized, Canada's Leading Technology and Health Sciences Lawyers 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A Canada's Leading Finance and M&A Lawyers 2023
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory Recognized, Corporate Finance & Securities 2023
- Osgoode Hall Law School, LL.B., 1991
- York University, M.B.A, 1988
- York University, B.B.A, 1987
- Osgoode Professional Development, Certificate in Mining Law
- Law Society of Ontario
- Canadian Bar Association
Call to Bar
Canadian Securities Administrators Announce Guidance on Trading of Value-Referenced Crypto Assets for Crypto Trading PlatformsOn October 5, 2023, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) published Staff Notice 21-333 – Crypto Asset Trading Platforms: Terms and Conditions for Trading Value-Referenced Crypto Assets with…
TechnologyOn May 12, 2021, a class action law suit was filed against Dapper Labs, Inc. in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York (the “Court”) alleging that Dapper Labs violated U.S…
Canadian Securities Administrators Announce Enhanced Pre-Registration Undertaking Requirements for Crypto Trading PlatformsFurther to its December 12, 2022 announcement, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) published Staff Notice 21-332 – Crypto Asset Trading Platforms: Pre-Registration Undertakings (“SN…
Class Action Lawsuit Highlights Importance of Legal Wrappers for Decentralized Autonomous OrganizationsIn a first-of-its kind lawsuit filed in the Southern District of California last month, a handful of members of a decentralized autonomous organization (DAO) called bZx DAO (bZx), commenced a class…
TechnologyOn April 7, 2022, the Government of Canada released its budget for the upcoming 2022 fiscal year (the “Budget”). Formally titled Budget 2022: A Plan to Grow our Economy and Make Life Affordable…
Mergers and AcquisitionsAllan Goodman, Michelle Vigod and Jessica Bishop authored the Canada Chapter of The Technology Mergers & Acquisitions Review 2nd Edition.Overview from the Canada Chapter:Deals in the…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Harry Radomski…
RestructuringWe are proud to announce Goodmans continues to be recognized by IFLR1000 in its annual guide. Recognition in IFLR1000 is based on a combination of in-depth qualitative research and…