Bob Vaux is a partner and Co-Chair of the Mergers and Acquisitions Group at Goodmans.
Bob’s practice focuses on all aspects of corporate and securities law, with particular emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, including initial public offerings and follow-on financings, and contested governance matters, including proxy contests.
Bob represents a variety of public companies, private equity funds and high net worth families. He also regularly represents boards and special committees in connection with significant M&A transactions. He has developed a reputation for assisting in the structuring of novel and sophisticated transactions and dealing with complicated issues in a results-oriented manner.
Bob is recognized as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global and Chambers Canada, IFLR1000, The Legal 500 Canada, Best Lawyers in Canada, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory and the Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A 2023. He was honoured as one of Lexpert’s Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40 in 2008.
Bob’s representative work includes acting for:
- Atlantic Power in connection with I Squared Capital’s agreement to acquire the company for US$961 million
- The Special Committee of Sagen (formerly Genworth) MI Canada in connection with the acquisition of Sagen by a consortium led by Brookfield Business Partners
- Special Committee of Kinder Morgan Canada in connection with Pembina Pipeline’s agreement to acquire Kinder Morgan Canada and the Cochin Pipeline for $4.35 billion
- Onex Corporation in its agreement to acquire all outstanding shares of WestJet Airlines Ltd. for $5 billion
- Altria Group in its $2.4 billion investment in Cronos Group
- Searchlight Capital Partners in connection with its acquisition of Mitel Networks Corporation in an all-cash transaction valued at US$2 billion
- Student Transportation Inc. in connection with its US$1.1 billion acquisition by Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and Ullico Inc.
- Spectra Energy Corp in its stock-for-stock merger transaction with Enbridge Inc. for approximately $37 billion
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Global Band 3, Corporate and M&A 2024
Chambers Canada Band 3, Corporate/Commercial - Ontario Ontario 2024
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate Governance Practice, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Securities Law 2024
Chambers Global Band 3, Corporate/M&A 2023
Who's Who Legal Recognized National Leader, Capital Markets and M&A 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy Recognized, Canada's Leading Energy Lawyers 2023
- Western University, LL.B., 1995, Gold Medalist
- Law Society of Ontario
Call to Bar
Capital MarketsOn April 12, 2018, the Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) published CSA Staff Notice 61-303 and Request for Comment – Soliciting Dealer Arrangements. The Staff Notice seeks broad feedback about…
CannabisOn March 16, 2018, the Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) and the Financial and Consumer Affairs Authority of Saskatchewan (FCAAS) issued the reasons for their decision in Re Aurora Cannabis…
Capital MarketsThe Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) recently published OSC Staff Notice 51-728 Corporate Finance Branch 2016-2017 Annual Report (the “Report”). The Report – which summarizes key issues raised by…
Capital MarketsA decision of the Ontario Superior Court in Goodwood Inc. v. Cathay Forest Products Corp. may have important implications for dissident shareholders, specifically concerning the extent to which such…
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are proud to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top-tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Global 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to share Goodmans lawyers have been recognized across Who's Who Legal's National Guide: Canada 2023. WWL National Guides identify national or regional leaders in a sector, industry…
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2024 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…