Suzy is a partner in the Dispute Resolution Group and is a member of the Executive Committee at Goodmans. She is an experienced commercial litigator, with particular expertise in litigating disputes involving commercial contracts, class actions, employee and fiduciary obligations, contested estate matters, directors and officers liability claims, civil fraud, loss of corporate opportunity and entertainment matters. Suzy has acted as lead counsel on numerous high-stakes litigation matters, including proceedings resolved by way of private arbitration. In her class actions practice, she frequently represents her clients’ interests in jurisdictions across Canada.
Suzy values strong client relationships, recognizing the importance of timely reporting. She is a skilled negotiator and regularly advises clients on risk mitigation strategies. However, when litigation is necessary, she vigorously pursues her clients’ objectives while continually evaluating risks, expenses and options.
Suzy has appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada and before all levels of civil courts in Ontario, including the Court of Appeal for Ontario and the Commercial Court, which specializes in complex commercial cases, and has both trial and appellate experience. She has also been involved in proceedings before the Ontario Securities Commission and in judicial review applications of administration tribunals.
Suzy is recognized in The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (“repeatedly recommended”), The Legal 500 Canada (recommended in Dispute Resolution: Ontario) and by Best Lawyers in Canada in the area of Corporate Commercial Litigation. Suzy is also recognized by Chambers Canada for Litigation: General Commercial (Ontario) and by Benchmark Canada as a “Litigation Star” nationally for class actions and in Ontario for class actions, commercial litigation, insolvency, labour and employment and professional liability.
Suzy’s representative work includes acting for:
- Chevron Canada Limited, challenging the jurisdiction of the Ontario courts and ultimately the enforceability of a US$18.3 billion judgment (subsequently reduced to $9.51 billion), obtained in Ecuador against Chevron Corporation
- IPEX Inc. in product liability claims in Canada (co-ordinating the defence with parallel claims in the U.S.), successfully negotiating a cross-border settlement of class action claims in Canada and the U.S. and prosecuting several product suppliers in connection with the alleged liability
- A major tobacco manufacturer, defending against government initiated high stakes litigation seeking recovery for health care costs across Canada
- American and Japanese auto parts manufacturers in proposed class actions commenced in various jurisdictions alleging price fixing related to the manufacture and sale of various auto parts (coordinating Canadian counsel for the proposed class actions in Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia and working with U.S. and Japanese counsel)
- Simon & Schuster Canada in the defence of a proposed class action lawsuit in Ontario in connection with e-books pricing in Canada
- A prominent Canadian company defending claims of loss of corporate opportunity and numerous injunctive proceedings
- High net worth individuals involving multi-million dollar estate and family high stakes litigation
- Estate Trustees (and beneficiaries) in contested passing of accounts and litigation arising from estate litigation
Awards & Recognition
Chambers Canada Recognized, Litigation: General Commercial Ontario 2023
The Legal 500 Canada Recommended, Dispute Resolution: Ontario 2023
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate and Commercial Litigation 2023
Lexpert Special Edition: Litigation Recognized, Canada's Leading Litigation Lawyers 2022
Best Lawyers in Canada Recognized, Corporate and Commercial Litigation 2022
Chambers Canada Ranked, Tier 5, Litigation: General Commercial - Ontario 2022
Suzy is a regular instructor of litigation skills-based workshops at The Advocates’ Society and has run the continuing legal education program for the associates in the litigation department at Goodmans. She is involved in the student program at the firm, acting as a mentor to summer and articling students.
Suzy has completed the Board Governance Course run by the Canadian Board Diversity Counsel, and currently serves on the Board of Directors of TanenbaumCHAT and at ICRF. She is a past board member of several other not-for-profit boards.
Before joining Goodmans, Suzy was a figure skater and competed nationally and internationally for Canada.
- University of Toronto, LL.B., 1997, Dean's Honour List, Carey S. Stern Prize in Civil Procedure
- McGill University, B.A., 1994, Political Science, Great Distinction
- Law Society of Ontario
- The Advocates’ Society
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
Call to Bar
- 1999 Ontario
News & Events
Banking and Financial ServicesWe are pleased to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from The Legal 500 Canada in their 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from The Legal 500 is based on…
Mergers and AcquisitionsWe are delighted to announce Goodmans LLP has once again received top tier recognition from Chambers and Partners in the Chambers Canada 2023 Guide released today. Recognition from Chambers…
Private Equity and Venture CapitalGoodmans is delighted to announce we have been recognized by the 2023 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada with 101 lawyers ranked across 41 practice areas.Congratulations to Dale H. Lastman, C…