Bay Adelaide Centre - West Tower
333 Bay Street, Suite 3400
Toronto, ON M5H 2S7
Julie Rosenthal is a partner in the Litigation, Class Actions and Competition Law Groups at Goodmans.
Julie has extensive experience in complex commercial disputes, competition law, regulatory/administrative law proceedings, procurement law, white collar crime, internal investigations, as well as domestic and international arbitrations. She has appeared on multiple occasions before the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, the Federal Court and all levels of court in Ontario.
Before joining Goodmans in 1998, Julie clerked at the Supreme Court of Canada for Justice Frank Iacobucci.
Julie’s representative work includes acting for:
- Atlantic Lottery Corporation as lead counsel on a successful appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada, where the Court overturned a certification order and dismissed a class action relating to video lottery terminals
- Cineplex Inc. as lead counsel in a claim for breach of a multi-billion dollar arrangement agreement
- Vancouver Airport Authority as lead counsel in successful defence of an application brought by the Commissioner of Competition before the Competition Tribunal, seeking orders pursuant to section 79 of the Competition Act, as well as on a successful appeal to the Federal Court of Appeal, which resulted in a fundamental change to the law of privilege in the competition law context
- Uber Canada Inc. (and related companies) as lead counsel in various matters, including the successful defence of an application in which the City of Toronto attempted to shut down Uber’s operations in Toronto, and including the defence of a class action alleging an unlawful conspiracy contrary to section 45 of the Competition Act
- a Canadian professional sports team as lead counsel in a proceeding seeking injunctive relief before the Court of Arbitration for Sport
- Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation in respect of procurements relating to its modernization of gaming in Ontario
- Apotex Inc. in respect of a number of judicial review proceedings against the federal Minister of Health under the Food and Drug Regulations relating to an “Import Ban” imposed on certain products
- the Ad Hoc Committee of Noteholders of Sino-Forest Corporation before the Ontario Court of Appeal in a matter involving the interpretation of provisions of the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act
- Bell Media Inc. on a reference to the Supreme Court of Canada opposite Canada’s largest cable companies
- one of eight co-accused in R. v. JTI Macdonald, et al., one of the largest criminal fraud prosecutions in Canadian history
- a major Canadian mining company as co-lead counsel in an international arbitration relating to alleged breaches of a private placement agreement
Julie is recognized as a leading lawyer by Benchmark Litigation Canada in the areas of arbitration, class action, commercial and competition/antitrust, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in litigation – corporate/commercial, The Legal 500 Canada for both competition and antitrust and dispute resolution, Best Lawyers in Canada in corporate and commercial litigation, and was named among Canada’s best litigators in the 2020 Lexpert Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers.
|Education|| University of Toronto (LL.B., 1996)
University of Toronto (B.A., English, 1992)
Law Society of Ontario